Former Prosecutor | Former Insurance Defense Attorney

Click To Call : Free Consultations

Criminal Defense
View Practice Areas

Personal Injury
View Practice Areas

Naples, Florida

What to do if you get in an accident with an uninsured driver

On Behalf of | Nov 12, 2020 | Blog, Car Accidents

Getting into a car accident in Florida is never a pleasant experience. But if the accident was minor, and both parties have insurance, it may just be a simple inconvenience. Unfortunately, thousands of Americans are driving on the road without car insurance. In some states, you may still be covered. In others, you may have to take legal action.

What happens if you get into an auto accident with someone who’s not insured?

If you live in a state with no-fault laws, it doesn’t necessarily matter if the other driver has insurance. Your insurance will pay for your damages and injuries regardless of who was at fault. If you sustained severe injuries as a result of an accident, you may be able to sue the other driver. However, lawsuits can be tricky in no-fault states since you’re already receiving a payout from your insurance company.

If you live in a state with traditional insurance laws, the situation is much trickier. Since the other driver doesn’t have insurance, he or she won’t be able to compensate you for your damages. Your only option is to sue the other driver. Luckily, if you don’t mind paying a higher premium every month, you can add coverage for uninsured drivers to your insurance policy.

How many people are driving without insurance?

Studies have shown that, on average, 14% of Americans are driving without car insurance. In some states, that number is as high as 28%. While most states require drivers to have car insurance, some people still drive without it. Many people cancel their insurance policies if they’re struggling to make ends meet. Others buy insurance when they have to get their vehicles registered and then cancel it shortly afterward.

How can you sue another driver after a car accident?

While most car accidents are minor, some accidents can lead to severe injuries and disability. If insurance won’t cover the damages from an MVA, it may be time to hire an attorney. A lawyer may help you sue the other driver for damages if he or she doesn’t have insurance. An attorney may also help you sue if you live in a no-fault state.