Conviction of a drunk driving charge in Florida can change your life, even if it is your first offense. If you are facing a DUI, there is a lot at stake for you, but with the right defense strategy, you can effectively confront the charges against you. No matter your previous criminal record, your future and freedom are always worth protecting.
The right approach for your defense depends on the details of your case and various other factors unique to your situation. There is no one-size-fits-all defense plan, and a conviction or guilty plea is never your only option. With much on the line, you will find it beneficial to seek guidance and experienced legal counsel regarding your defense options as soon as possible after an arrest.
How you can fight back
It may surprise you to learn there are several different ways you can fight back against a DUI, most often challenging an aspect of the prosecution's case against you. A careful evaluation of your case can determine if any of the following could be the optimal strategy for your defense:
- No grounds for traffic stop -- If the officer did not have valid grounds to pull you over, evidence from the stop may not be admissible.
- Problems with testing – You can challenge the results of any sobriety tests administered if the officer did not follow proper procedure.
- Problems with Breathalyzer – If there was a problem with the Breathalyzer test and results were inaccurate, you can challenge this aspects of the prosecution's case.
- Improper handling of samples – If police or others in the chain of custody mishandled a chemical sample, it could lead to inaccurate results.
- Violation of your rights – You have certain rights, and you can challenge the case against you if law enforcement acted inappropriately, violated your constitutional rights and more.
If you believe there was a problem with how law enforcement treated you or any aspect of the prosecution's case, you would be wise to take quick action to confront these things and protect your future interests.
Don't wait to get help
You would be wise to take quick action after an arrest to get the legal counsel and support you need to fight back against DUI charges. If you are unsure of what to do or how to find the right defense strategy, you may find it beneficial to start with a complete evaluation of your case.